Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Going Green

Hello Everyone!

I hope everyone had a great St. Patrick's Day! Though I'm not Irish I do like to think that everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day. I make an effort to wear green every year on this day and I sometimes even have Baily's Irish Cream!

I think it's important to remember one's heritage and celebrate its customs. When I was young it would embarrass me to participate in our religious processions through the streets because I felt that we were being made fun of. I grew up in a mainly French Canadian neighborhood and our Portuguese customs were kind of odd to them. But in time I realized that even though our celebrations seemed odd, many of these non-Portuguese neighbors were more intrigued than anything else and would often join our celebrations. I realized that when you're young you really just want to fit in but as I got older I felt more comfortable with my ethnicity and learned to appreciate it. Something that I've tried to pass on to my daughters.

Make today a pretty day!

Pretty As A Peacock

No comments:

Post a Comment