Monday, March 2, 2009

A Day In Paris

Hello Everyone!

Just like for my oldest daughter, I planned a special Sweet Sixteen party for my youngest one 3 years later. Since my daughter has a special affinity for Paris I decided to use this as my theme.
Though you usually see Paris-themed items is black and pink and white my daughter doesn't like pink. So I went with her favorite blue and silver and white and called it "A Day In Paris". I made invitations with pictures of Paris landmarks and, as I had done with my eldest, I had her best friends help me with the guest list and distribution. Again, I sent quizzes with the invites to be filled out in advance. I also asked everyone to wear light blue and/or white and/or light grey (which substituted for silver).

As she arrived and was greeted with "Surprise", I had her put on a blue beret and boa that I had gotten for her. I had also found a pair of blue boxer shorts with an Eiffel Tower and a cute French saying printed on them which she put on over her jeans. She got a big kick out these accessories and it set the theme for the day.

I decorated with as many Paris-themed items I could find which included a mini Eiffel Tower and picture frame that my daughter already had, a tissue paper box with a picture of the Eiffel Tower printed on it, a keepsake box and napkins printed with a Paris design (which luckily were in the same colors as her party theme). Everything else I bought in the right color scheme.

I also tried to keep the menu co-ordinated with the theme. I served baguettes with several patés and brie, mini quiches and French crackers. I did have to add in buffalo wings and pizza but the kids didn't care that these weren't "French"! Again, I opted for her favorite cake instead of a themed one.

We played most of the same games that we had played for my eldest's party except this time I filled a blue martini glass with my daughter's favorite candies for the guests to guess at the quantity and instead of "Kiss the Hunky Actor" game we had a poster-sized funny picture of my daughter, which we had snapped with out her knowing. This made it more interesting for the boys in the group!

Though this time there were boys at the party, they enjoyed the games and prizes as much as the girls did. The prizes were all different itmes that I didn't spend more than $2.00 each on but everyone liked them and were happy to be taking something home.

It really is a question of being creative and trying to keep the kids entertained with things that they'll like that makes a party successful. Again, I still get comments from the boys on how much fun they had and how they liked their prizes. Teens are just older kids and they still enjoy games and prizes as much as when they were younger, as long as it's suited to their age group.

Make today a pretty day!

Pretty As A Peacock

No comments:

Post a Comment